Wireless challenge to ‘future-proof’ NBN | The Australian

by on 30 July, 2011

A TECHNOLOGY guru who has been described as the Thomas Edison of Silicon Valley claims to have developed a new wireless technology that could one day rival the download speeds on the National Broadband Network.

The new technology, called DIDO, allows internet users to access download speeds up to 1000 times faster than possible on conventional wireless networks, without any fall in speed as more users get on to the network.

Opposition communications spokesman Malcolm Turnbull said the wireless breakthrough underlined the importance of being "technology agnostic" when it came to choosing broadband solutions to meet the nation's needs.

The federal government has pledged to spend $36 billion to roll out a fibre-to-the-premises network to 93 per cent of the nation over the next 10 years. The remaining 7 per cent will be served with a mix of wireless and satellite broadband technologies.

Leave a Reply